Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 12, 2011

OHL Playoffs - Day 18

Niagara 5 Oshawa 3 - Niagara leads series 2-1

The Ice Dogs took a series lead last night with a 5-3 victory over the Generals in front of a packed house in the cozy confines of the Gatorade Garden City Complex in St. Catherines.

The Ice Dogs came out flying and took a 4-0 lead after 1 period. Ryan Strome got it started when he notched his 4th of the post season just 1:03 into the contest. Jesse Graham and Jason Wilson would draw the assists.

Just 1:19 later Niagara would go up 2-0 when Simon Gronvaldt would score his first of the playoffs with assists going to Myles Doan and Darren Archibald. At 10:06 on the power play, the Hamilton Brothers would set up Andrew Agozzino for his 4th marker of the playoffs. At 18:55 of the period, Darren Archibald would notch his 7th to close out the first period scoring with assists going to Dougie Hamilton and Graham.

Niagara out shot Oshawa 16-13 in the first.

But Oshawa would throw 16 shots at Niagara goaltender Mark Visentin while Niagara managed just 4 on Peter Di Salvo in the second, on their way to trying to make a comeback.

But it wasn't until 19:53 of the third, on a penalty shot, that Andy Andreoff was finally able to beat Visentin. The second period would end with the Ice Dogs up 4-1.

At 13:01 of the third the two Scott's combined to cut the lead to 4-2. Valentine set up Laughton for his first of the playoffs to make a game of it. Then at 19:13 on the power play and Di Salvo on the bench for an extra attacker, Boone Jenner would score his 6th on a mad scramble in front. Calvin de Haan and Christian Thomas would earn assists on the goal.

But it all went for naught as Agozzino scored his second of the game and fifth of the playoffs into an empty net. Freddie Hamilton would draw the lone assists. Oshawa would out shoot Niagara 20-13 in the period and 49-33 in the game.

Game 4 goes Wednesday in Oshawa


Owen Sound 4 Plymouth 1 - Owen Sound leads series 3-0

Rob Mignardi scored his 5th goal of the playoffs when he got the ball rolling to give the Attack a 1-0 lead at 7:55 of the opening period. Liam Heelis and Matt Petgrave got the assists. Andrew Shaw would then score his third on the powerplay at 9:44 to make it 2-0 with the assists going to Mike Halmo and Geoffrey Schemitsch. At 12:22 the Attack would go up 3-0 when Mignardi scored his 2nd of the game and 6th of the playoffs on the powerplay. Matt Stanisz and Jesse Blacker would get the assists.

The period would end with the Attack up 3-0 and out shooting the Whalers 17-5 in the period.

Period 2 would be much the same with the Attack holding a 17-7 shot advantage but Jarrod Maidens would get the only tally when he notched his first at 19:02 with the lone assist going to Heelis.

Plymouth seemed to turn things around in the third out shooting Owen Sound 14-9 but it was too little too late. RJ Mahalak scored his 2nd to put Plymouth on the board from Garrett Meurs and Beau Schmitz. But that's the only offense the Whalers could muster.

Game 4 is back in Plymouth on Wednesday evening.


No comments:

Post a Comment