Search This Blog

Sunday, May 22, 2011

Owen Sound Stop Kootenay 5-0

The Owen Sound Attack and Kootenay Ice entered their first game of the Memorial Cup as two teams with similar styles that led both teams to their respective league championships. But on this night it was the Attack that schooled the Ice from the goaltending right on out.

Andrew Shaw fought for a puck behind the Kootenay net and fed it to a wide open Robby Mignardi who fired a perfect shot to beat Kootenay goaltender Nathan Lieuwen to put the Attack up 1-0 at 16:49 of the first period.

Roman Berdnikov would fire a low wrister on the short side to beat Lieuwen at the 3:30 mark of the second to put the Attack up 2-0. That would be all the scoring in the second.

The Attack would score three times in the third to take the victory. While short handed, Andrew Shaw would pick off a pass and send Mignardi in for his second of the game to add to the Attack lead. Mignardi is an undrafted free agent and with his MVP playoffs in the OHL and early production in the Memorial Cup, you would think plenty of OHL teams will be calling soon.

Kootenay defenseman Brayden McNabb would be tabbed with a 5 minute major and game misconduct when he caught Joey Hishon in the head with a high elbow. The play will be under review and possible disciplinary action should be known on Sunday.

The Attack would score two goals on the ensuing powerplay, the first by Andrew Fritsch followed by Garrett Wilson on a two man advantage. Fritsch, who is eligible for the 2011 NHL entry Draft, missed most of the OHL playoffs, but he adds another dimension to the Attack offense and will play a key role moving forward.

Jordan Binnington was solid and made key saves for the Attack when he had to in making his 29 saves for the shut out. There was somewhat of a goaltending question mark or controversy, call it what you will, but there should be no question now, barring a complete meltdown, that Binnington is the man in goal.

No comments:

Post a Comment