Search This Blog

Saturday, May 7, 2011

Attack Back In Series With 6-5 Overtime Victory

The Owen Sound Attack headed to the Hershey Center in Mississauga trailing the Majors 2-0 in the OHL Final and pulled out a 6-5 victory in overtime to get back into the series.

In a surprise move, Michael Zador got the start for Owen Sound while Jordan Binnington was dressed as back up. Number one goalie Scott Stajcer was seen an hour before game time wearing a white suit. No surprises for the Majors as JP Anderson got the nod in net.

This wasn't the penalty filled affair game 2 in Owen Sound was but it didn't start that way as there were 7 man advantages in the opening period.

Andrew Shaw got it started from Jay Gilbert for Owen Sound at 5:17 of the first on the power play. It was Shaw's 9th of the playoffs. But Rob Flick would tie it up at one with a power play goal of his own, also his 9th from Maxim Kitsyn at 9:21 of the period. Kitsyn would give the Majors the lead with his 8th, also a power play goal from Brett Flemming and Jordan Mayer at 12:29.

Special teams continued to play the major role in the period when Robby Mignardi scored a short handed goal at 13:29 to even the score at 2 apiece. But on the same penalty, Devante Smith-Pelley restored the lead with his tenth goal of the playoffs. Stuart Percy and Justin Shugg would assist n the goal. Garrett Wilson would tie it again with yet another power play goal when he notched his 10th from Matt Stanisz and Joey Hishon.

Mississauga would out shoot Owen Sound 11-8 in the period.

Owen Sound would take a two goal lead just passed the midway point of the second period. Shaw scored his second of the game and tenth of the playoffs at 11:20 from Gilbert and Roman Berdnikov. Just 2:18 later, Mike Halmo would score his fourth from Matt Petgrave and Berdnikov to give Owen Sound the 5-3 lead.

Owen Sound wold out shoot Mississauga 11-9 in the second frame.

the Majors came out flying in the third. At the 1:37 mark, Flemming scored his first of the playoffs from Mika Partanen to pull the Majors within one. The Majors continued applying pressure and firing pucks at Zador when at 14:38 Smith-Pelley scored his second to tie the game. Shugg and Casey Cizikas would draw the assists.

The Majors out shot the Attack 17-7 in the period and 37-27 through regulation. Owen Sound's power play was 2/5 and Mississauga 3/7 heading into overtime.

But overtime would take only one shot and 56 seconds to decide the contest. Petgrave scored an unassisted goal, his fourth of the playoffs to pull Owen Sound back into the series.

Game four is set for Sunday afternoon at 4:30 pm in Owen Sound.


No comments:

Post a Comment