Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Owen Sound 8 - Windsor 1

Owen Sound Leads Series 1-0

A tired Spitfires team was set to appear at the Harry Lumley Bayshore Community Center in Owen Sound last night fresh off a 6 game series victory over the Saginaw Spirit and about to play their third game in four  nights. Waiting for them, the Owen Sound Attack who are coming off of a 6 day rest.

Windsor would come out hard, fast and energized while Owen Sound looked to be finding their legs and their rhythm. The two teams started exchanging chances until finally, at 14:17 of the opening period, Jarrod Maidens beat Jack Campbell to out Owen Sound up 1-0. It was Maidens' second of the playoffs with the assists going to Robby Mignardi and Jay Gilbert.

Stratford native Joey Hishon would put the Attack up 2-0 with a short handed goal with just 19 seconds left in the period assisted by Garrett Wilson. It was just Hishon's second goal of the playoffs. The period would at at that with the teams both having 10 shots on goal. Both teams were 0-1 on the powerplay in the frame with Windsor allowing a shorthanded goal.

Windsor would open the second period scoring with a powerplay goal at 6:39 from Adrian Robertson, his third, with the assists going to Alex Khokhlachev and Tom Khunhackl. Just 22 seconds later Andrew Shaw would restore the 2 goal lead with his fourth goal from Cameron Brace. Hishon would then notch his second of the game on the powerplay with Wilson getting his second assist and Matt Stanisz getting the other.

Wilson would then get a powerplay goal of his own, his fifth, from Stanisz and Mignardi to put Owen Sound up 5-1 at 14:47. Only 1:12 later Owen Sound's other Stratford Native Brendan Childerley would make it 6-1 with his fourth with the assists going to Maidens and Gilbert. Shaw would close out the second period scoring with his second of the game to make it 6-1. He was set up by Matt Petgrave and Geofrey Schemitsch.

Windsor outshot Owen Sound 19 - 15 in the period.

Much to everyone's surprise, Jack Campbell came out to start the third period. But there would be only one goal in the period. the final tally came on the powerplay at 10:59 by Roman Bernikov, his fifth. Schemitsch and Shaw would draw the assists.

With just under two minutes remaining, Zach McQueen landed on top of Scott Stajcer in the Attack goal. Stajcer wasn't injured on the play, but as he has done many times in the past Coach Mark Reeds pulled his star goaltender in favor of Jordan Binnington to protect him.

This was by far not Windsors best game, and other then the opening few minutes they looked tired. Expect a different Spitfires team on Thursday back in Windsor.


No comments:

Post a Comment