Search This Blog

Sunday, April 10, 2011

OHL Playoffs - Day 16

Oshawa 6 Niagara 4 - Series tied 1-1

If game 2 was any indication, this is going to be a long hard fought series.

Alex Friesen scored for the visiting Ice Dogs just 2:43 into the contest with an unassisted marker and first of the playoffs. Oshawa bounced back with a powerplay goal at 5:36 Alain Berger notched his 5th of the playoffs from Calvin de Haan and Christian Thomas.

Oshawa took a 2-1 lead with another powerplay goal by Thomas, his 6th of the playoffs, at 9:38 set up by de Haan and Nicklas Jensen. Niagara would tie it on a powerplay of their own when Ryan Strome scored his 3rd of the playoffs from Friesen and Freddie Hamilton. And that would end the scoring in the first period.

Jensen would restore the Generals lead on the powerplay when he notched his 6th goal at the 11 minute mark with the assists going to de Haan and Berger. Darren Archibald would tie it again just 40 seconds later with his 6th set up by Steven Shipley and Myles Doan. The second period would end tied at 3.

Mitchell Theoret would give Niagara the lead 6:15 into the 3rd when he scored his 2nd of the playoffs on a set up by Victor Terreri. That lead was short lived as Jensen notched his 2nd of the game and 7th of the playoffs to notch the score up at 4 a piece. The lone assist went to Andy Andreoff.

Boone Jenner would score unassisted at the 8:30 mark to give Oshawa the lead for good. It was Jenner's 5th of the playoffs. Thomas would add an insurance goal at 12:45, his 7th, from Tony DeHart.

Niagara would go 1 for 7 on the powerplay while Oshawa was 3 for 5. Niagara's Mark Visentin stopped 28 of 34 shots while Peter DiSalvo stopped 37 of 41.

Game 3 goes back to Niagara on Monday


Owen Sound 3 Plymouth 2 - Owen Sound leads series 2-0

A tired Whalers squad finally got some rest and things looked pretty good for them for a while in this game.

Colin MacDonald scored his 1st of the playoffs at 13:51 of the first period to give the Whalers a 1-0 lead. Alex Aleardi and Austin Levi would be credited with the assists.

Tha score would hole up until 17:02 of the second period when Stefan Noesen scored his 7th of the playoffs to make it 2-0 with the only assist going to Dario Trutmann.

But with 2 minutes remaining in the second, things fell apart for the Whalers. Andrew Shaw scored his second of the playoffs to cut the lead to 2-1 from Geoffrey Schemitsch. Then, just 52 seconds later, Liam Heelis notched his 4th from Matt Petgrave and Schemitsch to send the teams to the dressing rooms tied at 2 for the third period.

The lone goal of the third came at 4:51 when Joey Hishon and Garrett Wilson set up Roman Berdnikov for his 2nd of the playoffs.

Owen Sound went 0 for 3 on the powerplay while Plymouth went 0 for 2.

Both goaltenders faced 31 shots with Scott Stajcer making 39 saves and Scott Wedgewood making 28 saves.

Game 3 goes Monday back in Owen Sound.


No comments:

Post a Comment